I have a little teapot that I use on a Sunday. I sit and read the paper on Sundays, so I have time for more than one cup of tea. I have been thinking it would be nice to have a tea cosy to cover it, keeping it hotter for longer.
I had a look online for a tea cosy pattern, just to see what ideas were out there. I settled on one of the patterns and set about making the paper pattern via the instructions. I followed the instructions: measured my pot and divided measurements by 2 then added 1 and 1/2 inches, as instructed. I drew it up and felt it looked too big, so I got my husband to check my math, not my strong point but is his. I had followed the instructions correctly but… it was just was too big. I think it would have fitted my head in the end!
So I decided to do my own pattern. I remeasured the width of my wee little pot, and the height. Then I added 1 and 1/2 inches for room to move and a 1/4 inch seam allowance. I marked the width of the pot on the edge of a piece of paper. I cut the paper to this width. Then I folded it in half and where the fold line was I marked the height of the pot. I then folded it in half again and drew an arc from the height mark to the edge of the width mark. When I was happy with the shape I used my paper scissors to cut it out. When I opened it up I put it behind my teapot just to see if it looked like the right shape and size.
Then I cut out my main material x 2 and the lining material x 2, using my paper template. I cut the wadding larger than the shape to allow for when I quilted the main material. I decided to have a heart shape at the top of the tea cosy so I drew a heart shape, hoping it was big enough when finished. I cut two heart shapes from the lining material and some wool wadding to give it some substance. You could also stuff it if you wanted it more 3D ish.
I sewed my heart first. With right sides together and the wadding on the bottom I slowly sewed around the edge of the heart. I left an inch on the side to turn it through but it was too small so had to unpick it to about an inch and a half size. Big enough to get your thumb in anyway. I trimmed the edge to within an 1/8th of an inch from the sewing line, except where the hole to turn was. Then I turned it through to the right sides. I pinned the hole edge and ironed it then sewed around the edge of the whole heart. This gives it a nice finish and closes the hole at the same time.
Then I sewed the linings together, leaving the straight edge open. I used a 1/4 inch seam. Once that was sewn I again trimmed the edge and carefully clipped the curves. Oh and yes I forgot to leave a 3 inch gap in the top curve of the lining, so I unpicked the required length. This is for turning when you join it to the main piece of fabric.
Okay so now I had the main material left to do. I placed one of the pieces ontop of one of the pieces of wadding, pinned them together and then quilted it. I decided on a very simple straight stitch with white cotton, about an inch apart. I was going to cross hatch but liked the effect of just one line so left it at that. Then I trimmed the wadding to the same size as the material.
Once both main pieces of material were quilted I pinned them together, making sure to line up the edges and sewn lines too. I also put the heart shape at the top of the curve, inside the two pieces of material, with just enough of the bottom of the heart poking out so the sewing would catch it in there. I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance around the curve, leaving the long straight side open. Again I trimmed the edges, but not the heart tip, and carefully clipped the curves.
Okay so now I put the main material cosy inside the lining of the cosy. Do check that you have turned your main material to the right side, unlike my first attempt! I had to unpick it and I hate unpicking ahhh. Anyway so main material is right side out and tucks into the lining which is the wrong side out. The right sides of the main and the lining will be facing each other. The heart will be showing through the 3 inch hole in the lining. Pinned them together and sewed around the edge. I used a 1/4 inch seam.
I turned the tea cosy through the hole in the lining. Pinned the hole shut and ironed, then I sewed the hole shut. It is on the inside so I just sewed as close to the edge as I could. Once that was done I pushed the lining back up into the main material of the tea cosy. I gave it an iron. The lining ends up showing on the bottom of the tea cosy, a bit like piping, so I sewed around the edge of the tea cosy where the materials joined. It finishes it of nicely.
Ok so then it was the moment of truth, would it fit! Yes! It was a perfect fit, yay. The heart at the top probably could have been a little smaller but I am happy with the result. Now my tea will stay nice and hot.
I can’t wait for next Sunday to use it 🙂